Goulds Pumps History


Goulds Pumps, A Tradition of Innovation Market Leadership

Goulds Pumps has been advancing technologies and fluid solutions for more than 170 years. It is one of oldest legacy brands in ITT’s portfolio and has been innovating for close to two centuries.

“Goulds has become the world’s largest manufacturer because it has refused to grow old, because we have continually looked forward, confident that we possessed in men, in manaagement, in materials, and in money, resources sufficient to meet the needs and demands of each successive generation.”  - Norman J. Gould
As true today as it was in 1938.  
 

Fun Facts about Goulds Pumps History


A wooden pump banded with iron was produced in 1848, marking the start of Goulds Pumps.
In 1848 Seabury S. Gould purchased an interests in Downs, Mynderse & Co. and the firm became Downs & Co. Wooden pumps were produced in an old cotton factory building. In 1869, the name of the company was changed from Downs & Company to Goulds Manufacturing Company.  
Seabury S. Gould, a man of unusual vision, was the founder of Goulds Manufacturing Company. He keenly watched as the first pump casting emerged from its mold of sand. An iron pump, he believed, would overcome all the disadvantages of a wooden pump. It would be strong and efficient and provide fresh flowing water for the pioneers. He ran the company until after the Civil War.
 
Because Goulds Manufacturing Company had a foundry, they produced all kinds of cast products such as corn shellers, bells, sad irons, sinks, tools, and a line of fire engines.
This Goulds bell, still rings loud and clear 169 years after it was manufactured. The bell sold for $8  and was used in farms, plantations, school houses and factories. It was dedicated at the opening of the new Goulds corporate headquarters on May 13, 1979.
From 1848 – 1964 a Gould family member was President of the company. The company ownership was transferred from family owned to public and employee ownership of stock in 1964.
     Seabury S. Gould I
     1848-1872
     James H. Gould
     1872-1896
     Seabury S. Gould II
     1896-1908
     Norman J. Gould
     1908-1964
In 1860 the company employed 250 workers and the foundry poured 10 to 14 tons of iron per day. Annual sales reached $400,000.
In 1905 two Goulds Triplex pumps installed in the NY Times building accomplished the highest lift of water in New York City, 387 ft. 6 inches.
 
The principle product manufactured in 1915 was heavy reciprocating pumps. The company was also a leading hand and rotary pump producer.
In the 1920’s Goulds became a household name, with ads in the Saturday Evening Post and illustrations by Norman Rockwell.